Tuesday 21 August 2007

Remembering Zucchini cake...

I was presented a week or so ago with a GIANT zucchini, which I shredded a 1/4 of in one night. The rest I shared with two other people as I certainly had more than enough. This week a friend emailed me a recipe, which arrived in a timely manner as I was thinking of searching for some old zucchini recipes. I hadn't made a zucchini loaf in a long time. This however is chocolate zucchini cake, anything with chocolate can't possibly be bad.

1/2 cup of soft butter (skip this & just use oil if you wish)
4 Tbsp cocoa (I used low fat)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (now you know why to skip the butter)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 3/4 cup sugar (Splenda is fine. I used 1 cup sugar)
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs (or egg substitute)
2 cups grated zucchini
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup chcolate chips
2 cups flour
1/2 cup milk

Combine all ingredients, bake in oiled 9x13 pan for 45 minutes at 325. I took my friend's suggestion and made cupcakes instead. Icing them is optional.

This recipe can be adjusted to use rice milk, rice flour, I used rye flour. You can substitute some of the fat with mashed banana or apple sauce.

1 comment:

Nav said...

We grow zucchinis and always end up with an excess. What I do to use them up is make an indian pancake - you shred the zucchini and mix it with chickpea flour. Add onions, garlic, ginger, chillies if you want and peppers, tomatoes or anything else that strikes your fancy - and then pan fry in a bit of oil for about 7 or 8 minutes a side.

Thanks for the cake recipe though - I'd never even thought of that!