Tuesday 7 August 2012

Two Salad Dressings

Not being a huge caesar salad fan I still wanted to find a dairy free one that I could have in my recipe collection to present to guests.  I found one online, really what isn't online these days, and made it without having all the ingredients called for.  Again improvising a recipe to compensate for my dairy allergy. I've indicated the original and then noted what I did with the recipe from what was available in my fridge.

Caesar Dressing -- Dairy Free

2 Tbsp of mayo -- vegan
I used fat free Miracle Whip which contains egg yolk no other dairy

2 Tbsp mustard

1/2 the juice from one lemon

2 tsp worcestershire sauce
I used BRAGG instead as it is dairy and gluten free

2 zested garlic cloves
I used 1/8 tsp of crushed garlic and then a bit more to taste

salt and pepper to taste

Stir all ingredients together, taste and adjust.  Remember that it will taste a bit different the next day.  I used a bit more Miracle Whip after I stirred it all together.  On a taste test with my partner he said it was like Caesar salad dressing.

Dressing #2 was inspired by receiving fresh basil in the food box.  Fresh basil smells wonderful and begs to be used in a pesto.  As I've cut down on eating pasta to almost not at all I decided a dressing for a salad of tomatoes and cucumbers would be perfect.

Fresh Basil Dressing

1 cup of fresh basil

2/3 cup of olive oil

1/3 cup of lemon juice

1/8 tsp of salt

Put basil in a blender, with the lid on the blender but the center lid off, gently pour in the oil as you blend the basil.  Add the lemon juice and salt, blend until mixed.  Store in a glass jar until ready to make the salad.  I like to leave dressing overnight or make them earlier in the day so the flavours have time to blend. 

On a side note, I was surprised the basil and oil didn't go all over my kitchen walls.  I think I will use less lemon juice next time.  Otherwise I really like this dressing.

1 cup of fresh basil

No comments: