Friday 9 July 2010

Silk Road Teas

June weekends became work shop weekends.  The first one was a kayaking course on June 12, then two workshops with Silk Roads Tea.  The first tea workshop I attended with my friend Paula to learn how to make tea sodas.  These are like Italian sodas only made with tea syrups rather than flavoured syrups.  The variations are endless, plus one can add rum, vodka or gin. Even white wine with green tea and some sparkling water makes for a refreshing drink with the added benefits of the tea.  All the workshops take place at Silk Roads Teas, are reasonably priced and you get to sit back, relax and taste.  Each workshop you get a print out of the recipes and tea suggestions.  Plus a discount on the purchase of tea to take home to make the recipes.

I've made two syrups since the workshop.  Ginger and Ginseng was the first one. This was a nice ginger syrup that I liked a lot with just club soda.  The second one I made is Vanilla Potion.  Although I used soda water with this one I might try it with a mineral water next time.  Some of the syrups do go better with sparkling mineral water instead.  I like the tea soda rather than the tea sparkler as I like more flavour.  In the tea sparkler less syrup is used. 

The second workshop I attended by myself to learn how to make tea slushies.  These are especially refreshing and were very welcome the past few days during our heat wave. The recipes for the tea slushies are online at the Silk Road Tea website.

I made the Mango slushie with Mango Shade, frozen mango slices, ice and rice milk I had coconut milk but I was saving it for tropical pancakes (another post).

My next tea recipes to try are the tea popsicles. I just received the recipes in my email box this week.

2 comments:

Paula Johanson said...

You're so right about the tea drinks workshops at Silk Roads! I really enjoyed the workshop we took on tea sodas and sparklers. I've made the tea syrup they showed us. That with some big tapioca pearls like some cafes put in bubble milk tea -- well, there'll be some good cool drinks during this heat wave!

Unknown said...

I adore tea, it's my fav drink any season but I love the idea of tea popsicles! The mango slushie sounds yummy as well.