Friday 11 December 2009

Cookie Monster Revisited

As the season to be jolly approached I was feeling rather glum. I realized as December drew closer that I would not be partaking of baked goodies this year and this made me sad, to be missing mincemeat pies, shortbread, gingerbread and boxes of chocolates. Such is life when one is off milk and wheat.

The silver lining in this grey cloud is that I will not put on the seasonal weight gain. Now that's a very good part of not indulging.

However...a week before December it was my turn to provide the cake for our monthly birthday celebration. In my attempts to be inclusive, I decided that as there was only one birthday person in November I would select a cake she could eat. The search for a dairy and gluten free cake began several weeks before the event.

Rheinland Bakery in downtown Victoria does do gluten free cakes, although not dairy free. They do have rice cookies which are both.

On doing a search I did find a few other places, such as Euphorium Bakery listed at 5122 Cordova Bay Road and Wildfire Bakery on Quadra.

I ordered from Wildfire Bakery due to location. The dark chocolate dairy and gluten free cake they prepared was beautifully decorated. It was delicious too!! Mainly, the birthday girl loved it, which is what going that extra mile is about. Doing something nice for a special friend.

The best part of going to Wildfire to pick up the cake was being revisited by the Cookie Monster. Delicious cookies were lined up on the top row of the bakery display.

As of today I now have in my cookie tin half dozen gluten dairy free ginger cookies and a half dozen gluten and dairy free pumpkin seed and anise cookies. Well, I ate one of the pumpkin seed/anise...and went to cookie heaven. I will be protecting my stash, possibly sharing it with friends who cannot indulge in regular cookies.

Wildfire Bakery has cranberry shortbread Christmas tree cookies, lavendar shortbread and non-gluten dairy free cookies. Soooo....if you're dropping by for a visit over the holidays and want to bring something to munch on, a few pumpkin seed/anise cookies would be welcomed by moi.

I've heard they make great bread too.

No comments: