Wednesday 19 November 2008

Learn Something New Today

The Guardian UK is offering the chance to learn how to butcher a lamb. Once the head, feet, skin and viscera removed, what do you do next? 44 photos and a dedicated amateur lead you through the process. I wish I'd had this guide back a couple of years ago when I was raising lambs. As it was, I kept having to take them in to the abattoir. Not because I couldn't do the slaughtering--I did the last half dozen after all, but because I had no clue how to properly carve up the carcase.



Tim Hayward, the dedicated amateur in the photos, got a bunch of friends together and formed lamb club (unlike fight club, there's not a lot to not talk about--see Tim's discussion of butchery here. The food blog is here.). Lamb, especially the stuff we find here from New Zealand, is fairly pricey stuff, so any opportunity to get this glorious meat should be snatched at.
Tim mentions how supportive his local butcher has been, suggesting that now, after a couple of lambs, the group is ready to take on venison or even a half-hog.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: